The present Magnificent Cathedral Church is situated at approximately 1km from Kanungu District headquarters along Kanungu-Kihihi road. It is the centre of Mission and Evangelism of the Anglican Church in the Diocese of Kinkiizi. She happens to be one of the biggest Cathedral buildings in the Province of the Church of Uganda. Relying on the statistical data collected in the 2013 Church census, St. Peters' Cathedral has a total population of 1200 people (Adults and Children).
Reconstruction work commenced in 2010 and the cathedral was enlarged twice bigger than the former one which had been constructed way back in 1947. The reconstruction was done by the Emeritus Bishop, John Wilson Ntegyereize and a total of approximately 500 million Uganda shillings has been spent. This money has been locally collected by Christians of St. Peters' Cathedral Nyakatare and other well wishers in the Diocese. St. Peters' Cathedral perfects her Ministry following the Diocesan Mission statement; to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ, demonstrating the love of God through practical services in ways that are relevant to all people's needs so that they can enjoy Gods total liberation.
There are two main weekly eventful days in the cathedral;
- Every Friday;
From 9:00am - 4:00p.m; Fasting, Prayer and Witness for Christ.
From 5:00p.m - 6:00p.m Bible study class
- Every Sunday;
8:00a.m - 9:45a.m; English Service
10:00a.m - 1:00p.m; Vernacular service.
Lack of staff quarters and transport means pose a big challenge for the cathedral and these hinder Cathedral staff from perfecting the work of God in the vast catchment area of around 10Km2, especially the day today Pastoral ministry. The few available staff accommodation need renovation as they are all dilapidated.